Civil Engineer Technician
County of Grundy--Job Posting
Date of Posting: May 14, 2018
Applications Accepted Until: Posted until filed
Job Title: Civil Engineering Technician
Employee Status: Full-Time, 40 Hours/wk, Exempt
Union Affiliation: N/A
Pay range: $45,000-$55,000
Responsible for preparing drawings and specifications for county and township road and bridge construction projects. Supervise and inspect construction of county and township road projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepare contract documents utilizing Word and Excel for county and township road and bridge construction projects.
• Inspect road and bridge work performed by contractors for compliance with plans and specifications.
• Measure constructed quantities, prepare pay estimates and necessary documentation as related to construction projects.
• Correspond with township highway commissioners and contractors in person and through letters and email.
• Reports directly to the County Engineer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
• Minimum 2 year of construction/highway experience.
• Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Adobe.
• Valid Driver’s License required.
• Have ability to add subtract, multiple and divide in units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Compute rate, ratio, percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Must speak and write in English fluently.
• Must have good communication skills with others both verbal and written.
• Able to work with elected officials, other public agency officials, and contractors.
• Handle administrating multiple projects at the same time.
• Willing to learn additional skills as required for the position.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
• Ability to access problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
1. Associates degree or equal in engineering or engineering related field.
2. 3+ years of construction/highway experience
3. IDOT or other local agency highway experience
4. Ability to read and interpret construction drawings
5. Ability to create construction drawings using AutoCad
6. Knowledge of typical road and bridge construction practices
7. Construction site layout experience
8. Knowledge of construction site safety
9. Basic understanding of IDOT design policies and standards
10. Other IDOT Certification – (concrete testing, bridge inspection, asphalt testing and/or inspection, etc.)
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be able to lift/carry up to 50 lbs. Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Must be able to walk across rough terrain. Must be able to walk up and down steep slopes. Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
Any qualified applicant with a disability and requiring reasonable assistance or accommodation to the application and/or inter- view process should notify the HR Department.
TO APPLY: Candidates must meet the minimum requirements of the position in order to be considered.
Send resume and salary requirements to HR@grundyco.org with “Civil Engineering Technician” in the subject of the email, or mail to Grundy County Administration, 1320 Union Street, Morris, IL 60450.
No phone calls please.
Washington County Engineer
The County Board of Washington County, Illinois is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of County Engineer. The position requires the engineer to plan, budget, direct
and coordinate various activities of the County Highway Department as defined in the Illinois Highway Code 605 ICLS 5/5-205
Applicant must meet the statutory requirements of the Illinois Highway Code 605 ICLS 5/5-201. This includes holding a valid Professional Engineer License and a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with at least two years of practical experience in civil and
highway engineering. The applicant must also hold a valid driver’s license and be an approved NBIS Program Manager or have the ability to obtain such certification for bridge inspection. The individual should be familiar with IDOT and FHWA policies and procedures. Strong computer/technology skills, communication skills, accounting and
budgeting skills with an administrative background are needed. Experience in
managing construction projects and being able to effectively interact with hourly field and office staff as well as local and state officials is desired.
Salary range $76,200 to $95,200 based on experience and qualifications
Cover letters, resumes, professional certification should be provided to the Road and Bridge Committee of the Washington County board through
firstname.lastname@example.org. The target date for submission will be November 16, 2018.
Job Title: Civil Engineer Department: Highway
Reports to: County Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $55,000 – $70,000
Last Date Reviewed: December 2018
Responsible for the design and on-site construction of county and township road and bridge projects.
REQUIRED DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES including but not limited to the following:
1. Prepare plans and specifications for county and township projects.
2. Inspects, reviews and evaluates fieldwork performed by contractors as to ensure conformance with plans and specifications.
3. Coordinates construction schedules.
4. Interprets plans and specifications for highway and bridge construction projects.
5. Measures and approves work performed by contractors for processing of payments to contractor. Prepare pay estimates in accordance with county and IDOT standards.
6. Have knowledge of Illinois Department of Transportation requirements and specifications relating to the preparation of reports, plans, and proposals.
7. Consult with Township Highway Commissioners in providing advice, estimating, design, specifications and supervision services for township road projects.
8. Supervise construction inspection of county and township bridges. Test concrete used in bridge construction for air content using air meter. Prepare concrete test cylinders and break cylinders using county’s concrete compression testing machine.
9. Coordinate design of county and township bridges with bridge design consultants.
10. Maintain a current list of construction projects on the county website.
11. Maintain a current bridge posting list and map on the county website.
12. Performs other duties as required or assigned.
DESIRED DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
13. Act as Bridge Program Manager. This position requires IDOT certification and oversees the inspection of all county and township bridges. Coordinates biennial bridge inspections with county consultant.
14. Perform special inspection of bridges when inspection cycle is less than two years. Performing special bridge inspections require IDOT certification.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college. A minimum of five years of experience performing roadway and/or bridge design and construction inspection. Proficient use of AutoCad software desired. Proficient use of Word and Excel software programs required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License (Required)
IDOT Bridge Inspection Certificate (Desired)
Professional Engineer License (Desired)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that will be performed. The qualifications and physical demands are representative of those that must be met for successful job performance. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and requirements for the job change.
STARK COUNTY, ILLINOIS
STARK COUNTY HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
Stark County is seeking applicants for the part-time position of County Engineer
Must meet the statutory requirements of 605 ILCS 5/5-201. Applicant must pass the Examination for County Engineer exam prior to the County Board hiring the candidate. Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited College or University. Must have a civil engineering background with at least five years practical experience in civil and highway engineering including highway construction and maintenance experience. Must be registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois disciplined in Transportation, Roadway and Bridge Construction, Construction Layout, Land Surveying. Experience in FHWA & IDOT Policies and Procedures. Must pass NBIS Program Manager Qualifications for the certification to perform bridge inspections as well as be familiar with the National Bridge Inspection Standards (NBIS) published by the U.S. DOT/Federal Highway Administration. Knowledge of traffic operation/drainage design & maintenance/site development review. As defined in the Illinois Highway Code 065 ICLS 5/5-205, the County Engineer positions requires the engineer to plan, organize, direct, coordinate and manage various activities of the County Highway Department consisting of, but not limited to, highway and bridge construction projects, maintenance and repair of roadways and ditches along county highways, maintenance of roadway signage, vehicle and equipment maintenance, and permits for overweight or oversized vehicles. The County Engineer oversees a staff of 3 employees and manages Stark County Highway budget, as well as upon request provides advice and assistance on a timely basis to the 8 Township Road Commissioners. Must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily with honesty, accessibility, dignity, and a willingness to represent Stark County and the citizens in a respectful manner. Knowledge of computer software - such as ICORS, GIS, etc/Technology skills desirable. Must live in Stark County/Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLY TO & FOR COMPLETE JOB DESCRIPTION:
Stark County Clerk, P.O. Box 97, 130 West Main Street, Toulon, IL 61483 OR
DEADLINE: Resumes will be accepted through January 29, 2019.